The story must be told.


Obituaries of residents from the District, Maryland and Northern Virginia.

John “Jack” Tracey, 86, a juvenile court judge in the U.S. District Court of Maryland for 22 years until he retired in 1992, died March 11 at a hospital in Silver Spring, Md. The cause was acute respiratory failure, said a daughter, Juliette Goldman.

Judge Tracey, a resident of Laurel, Md., was born in Silver Spring. As a child, he was a U.S. Capitol page and became chief page for then Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn (D-Tex.). Judge Tracey was a U.S. Capitol Police officer in the late 1940s and early 1950s. He co-founded what is now Hearts and Homes for Youth, a nonprofit organization for at-risk youth, was a Mason and enjoyed scuba diving.

Helen Barnes, 75, a geropsychiatric nursing specialist who worked for Prince George’s County government for 20 years before retiring in the late 2000s, died Feb. 14 at her home in College Park, Md. The cause was complications from lung cancer, said her husband, James Barnes.

Mrs. Barnes was born Mary Helen Scroggins in Chattanooga, Tenn., and moved to College Park in 1981. In the 1980s, she taught nursing aides at Prince George’s County Community College and worked as a staff development director at Collingswood Nursing & Rehabilitation Center in Rockville, Md. She also volunteered as a psychiatric disaster nurse for the American Red Cross. She was a member of St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in College Park.

Remembering those who have died in 2018.

William Leach, 84, a specialist in genetics and cytology who served in the U.S. Public Health Service for 32 years and taught cytogenetics as part of George Washington University’s adjunct faculty, died Feb. 26 at an assisted-living center in Potomac, Md. The cause was coronary artery disease, said a daughter, Jennifer Leach.

Dr. Leach, a resident of Silver Spring, Md., was born in Pine Mountain, Ky. He taught at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville before moving to the Washington area and joining the Public Health Service in 1966. He retired in 1998 as associate director for science at the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health.

Barbara Dyke, 91, a docent at the Smithsonian Institution’s Air and Space Museum from its opening in 1976 until 2016, died Feb. 23 at a hospital in Prince Frederick, Md. The cause was encephalitis, said a son, Robert Dyke.

Mrs. Dyke, a resident of Solomons, Md., was born Barbara Williams in the Panama Canal Zone and had lived in the Washington area for 54 years. At the Air and Space Museum, she trained other docents and conducted special tours for guests ranging from schoolchildren to high-ranking government officials and foreign dignitaries.

Eugene Skora, 94, a retired federal lawyer who in the 1980s and early 1990s organized golf and tennis tournaments and other sports opportunities for retired military officers and other senior citizens, died March 7 at a retirement community in Springfield, Va. The cause was cardiopulmonary arrest, said a son-in-law, Bruce Martin.

Mr. Skora was born in Berea, Ohio, and had lived in the Washington area for 68 years. From 1956 to 1973, he was associate general counsel to the U.S. Information Agency. He then spent six years as general counsel to the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission and then was briefly general counsel to the National Association of Retired Federal Employees.

Farid Srour, 99, a real estate investor, developer and home builder doing business as FS Peoples Realty, died March 4 at his home in Potomac, Md. The cause was congestive heart failure, said a son, James Srour.

Mr. Srour was born in Tartus, Syria, and settled in the Washington area 70 years ago. For about 20 years, he was a building maintenance man, lawn and garden worker, taxi driver and a life insurance salesman. He went into real estate investing and development 50 years ago and remained active in his business until three years ago, his family said.

— From staff reports

Source Article